Friday, December 21

Thank God for the Best of Bridge Cookbooks

I have given in to the Christmas spirit..Amazing what happens when PMS subsides.

So, this said, I am running around like a headless chicken trying to get cookie and cake recipes together so I can pass the spirit of a Canadian Christmas on to my kids. I started yesterday with gingerbread cookies.They lasted one day...the kids inhaled them and the comment from my boys was this."Mom, they were great but they would be better without ginger...." Sorry Martha, your recipe was a bust down here...

To the rescue, none other than the famous series of cookbooks called The Best of Bridge. Any girl who was born and raised within a 100 mile radius of Calgary since the early 80's knows the colored recipe books that have saved marriages, dinner parties,brunches and most of all, bridge parties.

My mother had her bridge club. She actually belonged to two bridge clubs - The North Hill Bridge Club and the Southwest Bridge Club, named as such because of where her fellow players lived within the four quadrants of Calgary. They started while they were still in University and played religiously for over 30 years together. I always knew that the bridge club was coming because my mother would start making all of this fancy finger foods and cakes and cookies and especially her lemonade punch. We were banished to the rumpus room and were warned to not interrupt the game for fear of getting our heads hit with the Goren Bridge Book....

Gossip and giggling quickly ensued when the bridge club came over. My father would just roll his eyes and stay clear(obs. 52 years of marriage, he must be doing something right...) Once a year there was the Grey Cup party, which was always a hit as well as occasional New Years Eve's Party.... all with the `Bridge Club`.Being a kid of the `Bridge Club`, we had to be sure that we didn`t rat out any of the other `Bridge Club`kids by accident. You think mothers have radars...NASA has nothing on the Bridge Club....

I recieved my set of Best of Bridge Cookbooks and in moments of despair, its just a quick call to mom for her to tell me that the recipe for lemon squares is in the Aces Cookbook (the 'blue' one).

Those books have been a lifesaver for me in the past and I know will continue to serve many women even beyond the 100 mile radius of Calgary....

No comments: