Sunday, March 20

Fashionata...You've Come A Long Way Baby...

Boy has Calgary come along way! I went to the Fashionata Fashion Show at Holt Renfrew the other evening. It was a charity fashion show benefitting the Safe Haven Foundation.
What a beautiful event! Instead of a runway, they used the escalators that are in the center atrium of the new Holt Renfrew in the CORE. The clothes were beautiful and being the fashionista that I am, I want the Blumarine dress that opened the show.The production was comparable to any show of the international Fashion Weeks.Years ago, this would never have happened.....

When I left Calgary to be a model back in the 80's, I was literally on my own and escaping a fashion wasteland also known as Calgary in the early 80's after the National Energy program destroyed the economy and mortgage rates were 18% +!! There was no modelling agency behind me to help me navigate the crazy world of foreign models while I was fending off my sleazy French agent. I can truly say that I made my own career and that yes, I am Calgary's Original Supermodel and the first Calgarian to ever grace the cover of Vogue. Too bad I have never received the recognition here in my hometown. I was scoffed at by kids at school when I was discovered at the age of 15 by no other that John Casablancas, owner of Elite. I was never part of the 'pretty and popular' girls. I played sports and was a swimmer and diver. I never did the Miss Calgary or pageant scene.

Now Calgary has become a model scout mecca for finding the next 'It' girl. With all of our cultural diversity, Canada is rich in potential models. In my day it was Linda and Shalom, now its Daria Werbowy and Coco Rocha...

Calgary has also become a very strong fashion centre. The oil patch has recovered and money abounds here. This was very evident at Fashionata with women dressed in head to toe designer outfits. Some looked amazing, others need the help of my stylist friend Wayne Scot Lukas.

I have semi retired from the model world, but will be back with a vengeance very soon. I am bringing together all of my experiences together to make Calgary even bigger and better in the fashion world. We are starting to see more and more designers setting up shop here. The Brazilian shoe designer Carmen Steffens has a great shop downtown that sells beautiful shoe designs that are just as amazing as any Laboutin or Blahnik.

Women here are in need of celebrating their beauty. That is my goal this year. To bring beauty and glamour back to women in Calgary. Stay tuned!

No comments: