Over the past few weeks, I have been working in the downtown core of Calgary. It has been a lot of fun and I have been able to get my dose of people watching. Lunchtime is the best and now that the weather is getting better, it is even more interesting to see what people are dragging out of their closets.
These are my top picks and peeve's for the fashionable set in Calgary.
1. Flip flops. Great when on a holiday, at the beach or at the gym while taking a shower. Not great when you are working at an office downtown. I don't care how awesome your $40 pedicure looks, flip flops at work are a major flop.
2. Men's pants that are too short. The chances of a flood happening in Calgary are quite slim, so gentlemen, please get your pants properly hemmed! Mens pants should be hemmed so that the front of the pant 'breaks' on the instep of the foot. The back of the trouser should not fall below the line of the shoe where the sole begins.
3. Bad hair. Calgary is a dry city, so trying to get your hair curly without resorting to a perm is next to impossible. Embrace the elements and blow out your hair. No bumps a la Snooki, though. A smidge of back combing at the roots to give a slight lift is ok, but please, no bumps!
4. Super white French manicures. Women here love to get their nails done, but they tend to look really fake because A. they go to cheap nails salons that use cheap products and therefore the nails look cheap. B. They use ultra white on the tips of their nails and they cover half of the nail bed. Tack tacky tacky.
5. Poorly fitted clothing. Blame the vanity sizing. If you were an 8 in the 80's, if you are the same weight now (highly unlikely if you have had kids)you would be a 2 or a 4 now. I hate this vanity sizing. bring back the old school sizing. Wear clothes that fit and don't look like tents. If you are hiding your figure, you are not doing yourself any favours.We all come in different shapes and sizes. The guru of styling for everyone is Wayne Scot Lukas. Check out what he does here.